Tuesday, April 8, 2008

mothers

the preservation of the 2,060 young warriors of helaman in the book of alma is a favorite story of mine. it is a wonderful story of faith. but i don't think i've truly noticed this verse before...

and now, their preservation was astonishing to our whole army; yea, that they should be spared while there was a thousand of our brethren who were slain. and we do justly ascribe it to the miraculous power of God, because of their exceeding faith in that which they had been taught to believe--that there was a just God, and whosoever did not doubt, that they should be preserved by his marvelous power.

~alma 57:26

what unbelievable faith! that they would faithfully head towards their possible death without flinching in their faith is astounding to me. the part that most struck me was what they were taught: that there was a just God, and whosoever did not doubt, that they should be preserved by his marvelous power. i hope i am instilling this faith and knowledge in my children. by what i teach them and especially by my example.

1 comment:

Jayci said...

I'm not around much, but because you are aware of these sorts of lessons in the scripture, that gives me the feeling that you are doing what those mothers did. You are aware, you are conscious. You are doing wonderfully from my stand point. You are not only an example to them, but to all us readers as well.

Stories like this are so inspiring. I wonder if I could walk unflinching towards possible death. I should hope so. :) What a strong army!