Sunday, November 21, 2010

guilt

the last few days i've been griping to paul about a certain someone that has gotten on my nerves.
i know it's wrong but sometimes i just give in and do it.

today in sunday school we spoke extensively about the temple and our relationship with God and our sunday school teacher reminded us that if we are cruel or even slightly rude to one of God's children then we can't have a good relationship with God. it just doesn't make any logical or spiritual sense. oh, how this brought my issues to heart. and made me look at this person in a new light. one that i've only considered once before. a very humbling lesson that i need to remember always. especially if i want my relationship with God to always be on good terms.

my renewed goal is to cut out any form of negative thoughts about this person and remember who they are.

3 comments:

chicklegirl said...

I've struggled with this particular character flaw for my whole life, in one way or another--whether it's because I find someone irritating, shallow, pious--whatever. Usually what's at the heart of it is my own inflated sense of superiority or self-righteousness. It's hardest for me when the person has actually done something to me, because then I feel like my resentment is completely justified. Not true of course, but humility doesn't come easily for me.

The key has been to ask for help when my own inner resources are not enough to overcome resentment or irritation (which, to tell the truth, they rarely are!) I've always found strength above and beyond my own when I follow the exhortation of Mormon: "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen." (Moroni 7:48)

chicklegirl said...

Oh, and a sure-fire cure I discovered on my mission when I wasn't getting along with a companion: if you want to love someone more, serve them. If you can do it anonymously, even better.

aubreyannie said...

oh katie. what awesome advice. i LOVE that scripture in moroni. i've heard it before but in this context..absolutely amazing. thank you! and thanks for your advice to serve...fabulous idea.